Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The Hunger Games... Hmmm

So I finally caved and watched Hunger Games. Yes, sadly I did and I wish I hadn't. Not because I didn't like it, but because it made me feel icky watching it. The whole time I did I kept thinking, am I just as blood-thirsty as the audience in the movie?

Why?

Because that group of evil kids... by the end of the movie I was rooting for someone to do something truly heinous to them. But then I kept thinking, oh my gosh, what's wrong with me... this is a movie, those are kids, probably perfectly nice ones...

I didn't even read the books because I just couldn't stomach the thought of children killing children, and then finding out spoilers about books 2 and 3, such as Katniss turning Peeta (sp?) into a hardened, almost cruel man because of how she treats him. That many of the primary characters in book 1 die, that the entire series is such a blood bath, why in the world would I want to invest any emotional time into something like that.

And yet...

I couldn't put off the macabre need to know what was it about this movie that had teenagers and adults all atwitter.

I can say this, the plot was surprisingly good. I have no idea about the books, I still won't read them and likely I won't be watching anymore sequels, I just don't want to see sweet Peeta becoming, as he said "something that he's not" and knowing it's because of Katniss. She has got to be one of the most unlikeable heroines I've ever read. It was honorable how she did save her sister and little Pru, well... until Pru inevitably got offed, but those were probably her only redeeming traits so far as the movie went. When she and Peeta kissed, it was so sweet... but in the back of my head I just kept thinking, run away Peeta, she's a viper...

So did I enjoy it? Yes and no. Yes, great story, no... I still don't like seeing kids killing one another, that platform scene was especially tough for me to stomach.

All in all, I wish I'd never watched it honestly. Very disturbing.

What do you guys thing? Is it just me?

~Marie

No comments: